Hi! Looks like the Smoky Mountain have already gotten the first snow of the year - which reminds me it is time to give you some updated information about the wilderness medicine elective. We've expanded the class from 28 to 32 students due to demand so there continues to be a bit of movement on the waiting list :)
1) Gear list. I've attached a suggested gear list for the course. Now is a great time to look for online sales and talk to friends and family about borrowing gear - or add things to your christmas wish lists. You do not have to have everything on the list - these are suggestions. The smokies can be warm or VERY cold - lots of layers of synthetic clothing are key - with rain protection.
2) Travel plans: Please plan to arrive at Camp Wesley Woods on Sunday February 1st. If you a flying please fly into the Knoxville TN airport. We will run shuttles to the airport several times on Sunday. As the elective gets closer I'll need to get travel info from each of you. We could use a couple of those driving to the elective to arrive Saturday evening to help with setup and shuttles :)
Plan to depart from camp on Thursday Feb 26th. We will return from the backpacking portion on Wednesday evening and have an end of course banquet. If you are flying - remember to depart from Knoxville TN airport. We'll do shuttles once again.
3) Academic Credit: Your institution will need to be willing to award you academic credit for the elective. The elective is recognized as a 4th year elective by Virginia Tech-Carilion SOM, however they do not award credit as this elective is not part of VSAS (visiting elective). You will need to bring any evaluations needed by your school. I will the contact and "preceptor" and am happy to help with any paperwork you need.
4) Emergency Medicine Residents - Any EM residents attending please contact Frayda
email@example.com as she is working making plans for taking the inservice exam and would like to coordinate with others.
5) This list serv is the current class roster, plus the organizing committee (Teri, Erin, Liz, Rob, TK, and me (Steph).
Please let me know if you have any questions!
WMS FEBRUARY 2015
You will be comfortable in direct relation to your gear and its quality!
Travel Mug for coffee/ hot cider in the classroom!
Upper Body Clothing
Personal Maintenance Kit
Optional Personal Gear
Camp Wesley Woods